What we offer:
What we expect from you:
- Real team work: Join our team of IT Specialists supporting ESO's IT and Technical Services in an evolving technological landscape.
- International environment: You will be providing IT Service and database technology support to ESO and ALMA Operations; to software development; and to the remote observatory sites.
- Shape your own future: We give you the opportunity to use your own experience to design, organise, produce, deliver and monitor the evolution of IT Services according to IT standards and requirements from users and the business. You will also be given the opportunity to learn about new technologies.
- Opportunity to look beyond your horizons: You will be maintaining and supporting IT Services and database technologies that keep some of the world's biggest observatories working.
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn: You are keen to learn new things and understand our complex operational environments as well as scientific applications.
- Multicultural Awareness: You have the skills to communicate and conduct yourself in a multicultural environment made up of over 40 nationalities.
- Responsibility: You take responsibility for all aspects of Service delivery for your appointed Service areas.
- Self-Starter: You are a self-starter who takes the lead with minimal supervision to ensure the delivery of IT and Technical Services.
- Team spirit: Above all, you are a real team player, who understands that only strong collaboration with your colleagues across disciplines will allow us to achieve our goals.
- Experience in database technologies: You have extensive experience primarily in SAP and secondarily in Oracle database technologies both OLTP and OLAP. You have configured and administered bi-directional database replication across a WAN and have assisted development teams in the engineering of software using this technology; and database transaction conflict resolution. You also have knowledge of other relational and NoSQL database technologies and their implementation.
- Maintenance of database environments: You know how to install, configure and maintain database servers; tune them and carry out backup and recovery. You have a sound understanding of SQL; are able to analyse queries; and provide support and advice to users on queries and application development.
- Coding skills: You are a proficient script developer and have experience in Python or other scripting languages.
- Planning: You can contribute to budget and forecasting for the IT Infrastructure cost development follow-up; and cost efficiency and optimisation.
- Responsibility: You can take responsibility to establish, measure, enhance and fulfil IT operational level agreements in planning and follow up on the execution and KPI performance with IT Service stakeholders, IT users and IT suppliers.
- Technical Lead: You can lead the IT Service support in your area, both on an organisational level and with an external service provider.
- ITIL: You have passed the ITIL Foundation Exam and are familiar with all aspects of service management.
Is there anything else which qualifies you for this job? Just let us know!Qualifications:
University degree in Computer Science, or equivalent.Language Skills:
An excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential. A knowledge of German and/or Spanish is also an advantage.Reports to:
Head of the IT Group Garching in the Information Technology Department (Directorate of Engineering).Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in day care. The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For further information, please view ESO's conditions of employment.Starting Date:
As soon as possible.Duty Station:
ESO Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany. This position involves duty travel to the ESO sites in Chile and/or partner institutes in Europe, North America and Japan.Application:
Please apply online via our ESO Recruitment Portal. Your application must be in English and include a motivation letter and CV. Also required are the names and contact details of three referees. These referees may be contacted at the end of the recruitment process, but not without your prior consent.Closing date for applications is 20 August 2017.
We welcome all applications, however, preference will be given to nationals of ESO Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.