Job Description - Engineer (Information Systems/Application Management) (170616)
Engineer (Information Systems/Application Management)-170616
Primary Location Italy-Sigonella
NATO Body NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis) : 5,232.88Euro (EUR) Monthly
Do you have experience in engineering and maintenance of communications and information systems? Can you demonstrate strong expertise in database operations? Can you prove customer oriented behaviour and excellent communication skills?
If the answer is yes, this position is ideal for you!
The NCI Agency is currently looking for an engineer (Information Systems / Application Management) to be responsible for installation, administration, management and maintenance of database systems and software applications of assigned NATO information systems.
This is a position within the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency), an organisation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
The Director of Service Operation (DSO) is accountable to plan, install, operate and maintain CIS services throughout the allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR), in static NATO Headquarters, Alliance Operations and Missions and Exercises, and supported Organisations. NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Sigonella, located in Sigonella (ITA) enables end-to-end CIS services as it installs, operates, maintains and supports the full range of CIS capabilities during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed. The Office of the Commander (OoC) enables the CSU Commander to fulfil this mission.
Under the direction of the Branch Head Service Operations and Support the post-holder will perform duties such as the following:
- Responsible for the installation, operation, management and maintenance of assigned CORE and Functional Systems, Databases and other Applications and stays abreast of latest developments in these areas.
- Responsible for applications and data integrity, supports IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM), Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans.
- Responsible for assigned aspects of Service lifecycle.
- Analyses plans, designs, requirements, and associated risks, advises on technical solutions and mitigations.
- Manages support to development of operations and exercises plans, directs the support to related local CIS Service provision during execution phase of these plans.
- Documents design and configuration of assigned applications and the required operating procedures.
- Implements procedures, tools and techniques for monitoring and managing the performance of applications and provides reports as required.
- Provides Application Management support to the software applications and tools which are used by customer in the AOR and defined in SLA.
- Engineer overall responsible for the delivery of Functional Services and Database Management services to meet customer requirements in the AOR.
- Responds to user’s requests for assistance and takes appropriate action to solve database related problems occurring on the local systems.
- Maintains and monitors database systems and support tools.
- Advises and supports day-to-day operation, control and monitoring of Mission Dedicated Systems (MDS).
- Initiates and maintains liaison with other CSU internal units, Service Lines and other technical organisations.
- Investigates, defines and resolves complex technical issues.
- Provides engineering and technical advice, and implementation guidance to the senior management
- Advises on and assist the development of standards, methods and tools.
- Ensures effective and efficient use of assigned resources.
- Applies situational leadership (directing, coaching, supporting or delegating) as required.
- Plans and manages implementation of assigned project work packages.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
A Bachelor of Science (BSc) or Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognized/certified University in a discipline related to the Information Technology (IT) content with 4 or 2 years of respective function-related experience is required.
- Or exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that is/are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post.
It is considered highly desirable if you have any of the following:
- Industry recognized certifications in system administration, operating systems, and/or system engineering;
- Chartered engineer;
- Member of a recognized professional body or institution;
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Communications or Information Systems Engineering;
- Training or certificate on Project Management;
- ITIL Foundation Certificate.
- General background in engineering and maintenance of communications and information systems including pertinent training and practical experience. Demonstrable evidence in maintaining knowledge of advances in IS engineering and Service Management.
- Formal training in database administration and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in database operations.
- Knowledge of SQL Scripting and common database packages as well as Network Operating Systems.
- Experience in system administration of common operating systems.
- Technical knowledge on wide area networks (WAN) and local area networks (LAN).
- Knowledge of Active Directory services and Group Policies.
- Experience in Microsoft SharePoint Portal administration and troubleshooting.
- Experience in IT systems virtualization, VMware infrastructure support (ESXi/vSphere).
- Knowledge of Service Management principles, has experience in negotiating roles associated with a typical customer-provider relationship.
- Experience in all phases of the Lifecycle of Information Systems aimed at achieving effective system development and deployment.
- Broad and sound technical knowledge and experience in distributed Information Systems as they are applied to the modern military management information and Command and Control Information Systems.
- Experience in Configuration Management.
- Experience in Problem Management.
- High level of organisational, coordination and communication skills.
It is considered highly desirable if you can show:
- Knowledge of project development for CIS in NATO, specifically Capability Packages (CP).
- Background in CIS support and/or maintenance with a good understanding of CIS systems and associated non-CIS equipment.
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements.
- Experience in NATO CIS Systems and Services.
- Specialization in military communications and information systems, telecommunications systems.
- Experience in risk analysing and management.
You will be is responsible for:
- Maintaining liaison with other technical project leads to ensure the integrity and coherence of projects with the wider NATO C3 systems and capabilities;
- Representing the Agency in assigned NATO committees, steering groups/boards as directed;
- Liaison as required with national organisations with related roles and responsibilities in system implementation.
- Frequently representing the CSU/Agency/NATO in dealing with external points of contact. Routine external contacts include higher headquarters, the NOR, the WGNTE, other working groups, other headquarters, and Host Nation Authorities.
- Supervise the work of Project teams and ensure delivery of the products assigned to the Team;
- The post-holder may give professional guidance to staff. May be asked to direct and supervise the work of contractors.
- Application Support - Maintains application support processes, and checks that all requests for support are dealt with according to agreed procedures. Uses application management software and tools to investigate issues, collect performance statistics and create reports.
- Database Administration - Drafts and maintains procedures and documentation for databases. Manages database configuration including installing and upgrading software and maintaining relevant documentation. Contributes to the setting of standards for definition, security and integrity of database objects and ensures conformance to these standards. Monitors database activity and resource usage. Optimises database performance and plans for forecast resource needs.
- Problem Management - Ensures that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services. Ensures that such problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting system(s). Enables development of problem solutions. Coordinates the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures. Analyses patterns and trends.
- Leading and Supervising - Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high calibre; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
- Relating and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
- Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
- Creating and Innovating - Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- Planning and Organizing - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two official NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
We appreciate your patience.