What we offer:
- Real team work: Join our team of IT Specialists supporting ESO's IT and Technical Services in an evolving technological landscape.
- International environment: You will be providing IT Service, network and security technology support to ESO and ALMA; including the remote observatory sites located on different continents and time zones.
- Shape your own future: We give you the opportunity to use your own experience to design, organise, produce, deliver and monitor the evolution of IT Services according to ESO IT standards and requirements from users and the organisation. You will also be given the opportunity to learn about innovative technologies.
- Opportunity to look beyond your horizons: You will be maintaining and supporting IT Services within an exciting scientific environment keeping some of the world's biggest observatories working.
- Responsibility: You take responsibility for all aspects of Service delivery for your appointed IT Services.
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn: You are keen to learn new things and understand our complex operational environments as well as scientific applications.
- Multicultural Awareness: You have the skills to communicate and conduct yourself in a multicultural environment made up of over 40 nationalities.
- Self-Starter: You are a self-starter who with minimal supervision takes the lead to ensure the delivery of IT Services.
- Team spirit: Above all, you are a real team player, who understands that only strong collaboration across disciplines will allow us to achieve our goals.
- Experience in Network Technologies: You have an extensive understanding and working knowledge of IPv4/IPv6, OSPF, BGP, QoS, VPN, NetFlow, policy-based routing, and you are familiar with technologies such as WLAN, MPLS, DNS, NTP and IGMP. You are a proven expert in the design, implementation, and troubleshooting of enterprise networks. You have hands-on experience and you know how to install, configure, monitor and maintain Cisco IOS and Nexus network devices.
- Experience in Security Technologies: You have experience with Cisco firewall technologies (e.g. Cisco ASA, Cisco FirePOWER) and security protocols such as IPSec, ESP, IKE, 802.1x, EAP, TLS, Radius, Tacacs+. Ideally you also have worked with Cisco ACS or Cisco ISE products. You know how common network attacks (e.g. denial of service, man-in-the-middle, spoofing, eavesdropping) work and how to mitigate them.
- Experience within IT: You will have a good general understanding of IT disciplines
- Technical Lead: You can technically lead the IT service operational support in your area, both on an organisational level and with the out-tasked provider support teams.
- Certification: You have at least a valid CCNP (Routing & Switching) certification, any security certification will be an advantage.
- Financial Planning: You can contribute to budget and forecasting for the IT Infrastructure services cost and follow up on cost efficiency and optimisation.
- Responsibility: You can take responsibility to establish, measure, enhance and fulfil IT operational level agreements in planning and follow up on execution and KPI performance with IT stakeholders, users and suppliers.
- ITIL: Ideally you have already passed the ITIL Foundation exam or you are willing to do so and become familiar with all aspects of service management.
Is there anything else which qualifies you for this job? Just let us know!Qualifications:
University degree in Computer Science, or equivalent.Language Skills:
An excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential. A knowledge of German and/or Spanish is also an advantage.Reports to:
Head of the IT Group Garching in the Information Technology DepartmentRemuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in day care. The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For further information, please view ESO's conditions of employment.Starting Date:
As soon as possibleDuty Station:
ESO Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany. This position involves duty travel to the ESO sites in Chile and/or partner institutes in Europe, North America and Japan.Application:
Please apply online via our ESO Recruitment Portal. Your application must be in English and include a motivation letter and CV. Also required are the names and contact details of three referees. These referees may be contacted at the end of the recruitment process, but not without your prior consent.Closing date for applications is 31 January 2018.
No nationality is in principle excluded however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.More Information:
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.