The NCI Agency is made up of teams of dedicated people from 29 different nations who are technology experts in their chosen fields. Our collective role is to help protect the lives of 1.5 billion people and contribute to maintaining world peace.
The Engineering Branch (ENB) manages, controls, guides and orchestrates all technical aspects of all AirC2-related internal and contracted projects throughout their lifecycle. It provides estimation of the required effort for each project/task and staffs, plans, allocates and manages engineering resources according to agreed priorities. ENB executes overall design responsibility to ensure and harmonize the integrity, technical coherence and interoperability across all AirC2-related based projects throughout product lifecycles (requirements, design, implementation, test support and site support) and across assigned projects. ENB also maintains close coordination with Service Strategy and other key stakeholders across the Agency for technical roadmaps and engineering matters.
As an expert in the field of System Administration (UNIX) with experience in the installation, administration and maintenance of UNIX (i.e. Linux and Solaris) and MS-Windows systems in a network environment you will play a crucial role in the following:
Under the direction of Head-EES (H-EES), you will perform duties such as the following:
- Install, configure, administer, monitor and maintain the assigned systems, sub-systems or assets, and documents the appropriate actions based on requirements and architectures defined by the System Engineering Section.
- Integrate new elements into the assigned systems, as directed, in close co-operation with the subject matter experts from the Service Delivery Branch.
- Perform configuration control and IT Asset Tracking on the system software used on internal IT support systems.
- Managing and supervising the CIS systems assigned to him from a maintenance, installation, asset management and security perspective;
- Ensure implementation of the appropriate security rules.
- Monitor system performance and resolves system problems to ensure that systems remain operational and keeps the users appropriately informed on the system status.
- Direct and support the programmers in implementation and maintenance of scripting solutions.
- Liaise with the Operations Centre (OpsCen) Customer Service Desk (CSD) for routine system tasks and provides second-line support within service operations.
- Coordinate and supervise third line of support for system software through the activation of consultancy and maintenance contracts.
- Provide expert support and technical expertise to all Agency staff on AMDC2 internal IT support systems.
- Develop and maintains local backup and recovery procedures and ensures their proper execution.
- Perform and supports on-the-job-training (OJT) as directed.
- Monitor the work of external consultants at working level.
- Maintain a high level of expertise in the areas above and stays abreast of related best practices.
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required
- Perform other duties, as required.
We are looking for candidates with a Master of Science (MSc) degree or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognised/certified University in a technical subject with substantial Information Technology (IT) content or related subject, or exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that is/are of interest to the NCI Agency; that is, extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post or progressive managerial experience in fields directly related to the function of the post.
In addition to at least 2 years of relevant experience, you will have:
- Recent practical experience in the installation, administration and maintenance of UNIX (i.e. Linux and Solaris) and MS-Windows systems in a network environment;
- Knowledge of and practical experience in administering networked systems for different operating systems and their integration.
- Knowledge of or practical experience with IT asset tracking and configuration control tools.
- Experience of system performance measurement and evaluation.
The ideal candidate will possess some or all of the following:
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements; (please delete if not applicable)
- Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
We are looking for a person who demonstrates the following behavioural competencies:
Deciding and Initiating Action - Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Presenting and Communicating Information - Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as occasional travel between the NCI Agency offices;
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
You will be responsible for liaising with end users, CIS and security communities under the direction of H-EES.
You may supervise, administer and give professional guidance to staff, if required.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note: Due to the Agency’s transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency’s recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months.
We appreciate your patience.