Job Description - Senior Technician (User Support) (181128)
Senior Technician (User Support)-181128
Primary Location Netherlands-The Hague
NATO Body NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis) : 3,871.05Euro (EUR) Monthly
3000 people are working 24/7 to protect 1 billion citizens. We serve 29 nations by defending its networks, and providing real life support to NATO operations and missions. We connect the Alliance. We are leading IT professionals. We are the NCI Agency.
We are looking for a talented Senior Technician (User Support) who will be responsible, among other, investigating and resolving technical issues, providing level 1 & 2 support to end-user ICT assists and supervising and conducting equipment testing.
If you think that you have the relevant skills and experience, as well as the relevant academic background that match the requirements of the position, and if you would like to work as a part of multinational team in a challenging environment, we would like to hear from you.
The NCIA has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications, Information and Cyber Defence functions, thereby also facilitating the integration of Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, Target Acquisition functions and their associated information exchange.
NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Brussels, located in Brussels (BEL) is the primary Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) service provider for 24/7 support to SecGen, the International Staff (IS), the International Military Staff (IMS) and other customers of the NATO Headquarters in Brussels. CSU Brussels enables end-to-end CIS services as it installs, operates, maintains and supports the full range of CIS capabilities during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed.
Under the direction of Section Head, the incumbent will perform duties such as the following:
- Investigates and resolves technical issues in a systematic approach;
- Maintains sound knowledge on implemented technologies;
- Advises his/ her superiors and recommends technical solutions;
- Supervises and provides level 1 & level 2 support of end-user ICT assets in accordance with Agency processes and procedures;
- Records work in Service Management systems, records cause of failure, updates configuration control records and asset management records;
- Ensures the liaison with local logistics in order to fulfil the level 1 support of end-user ICT assets;
- Supervises and conducts equipment testing to and from the supply line, documents serviceability status, initiates Technical Assessment Reports;
- Contributes to the implementation of the Branch's continual service improvement procedures and contributes to the NCI Agency continual service improvement process;
- Documents the configuration of assigned ICT infrastructure and updates required operating procedures;
- Prioritises work ensuring timely implementation;
- Installs, maintains and operates the full range of end-user computing, printing and network devices required to deliver systems and services for user office automation;
- Executes support requests, work orders and other tasks;
- Contributes to IT Security compliance and remediation and contributes to incident, change, configuration and asset management processes through ITSM toolkit;
- Coordinates and conducts work to meet quality targets;
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
It is essential that you hold a vocational training qualification in a relevant discipline or a high school diploma with progress experience in the duties of the post.
In addition to at least 5 years of relevant experience, you will be required to prove that you have;
- Very good knowledge in using ITSM tools such as BMC Remedy;
- Experience in the installation and maintenance of mobile computing solutions (e.g. VPN access, Notebooks, Remote Access and WLAN);
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in the troubleshooting of the latest versions of MS Windows client side operating systems and common desktop applications;
- Very good knowledge of troubleshooting modern communication means;
- Customer focus and service orientation;
- Highly effective interpersonal skills in dealing with highly demanding users and under high workload;
- Strong team player skills to contribute to an atmosphere of mutual respect, personal accountability, and professional support;
- Experience in leading a small team;
- ITIL foundation certification.
In addition to the above, it would be considered highly desirable if you are able to display;
- Knowledge of Windows Server, Networking Hardware, Networking Protocols, Telephony systems;
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements
- Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
- Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well;
- Presenting and Communicating Information - Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
- Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
- Planning and Organising - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones;
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives - Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm; works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary; seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence; identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent between the NCI Agency offices.
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency.
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
- Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.