Does your current job really give you satisfaction? If you desire a genuine challenge, a sense of achievement and the opportunity to work in an exciting international setting then this position in NATO will appeal to you. Are we really talking about Database Management? Yes; this is NATO Database Management in HQ Allied Air Command (AIRCOM).
HQ AIRCOM, located in Ramstein, Germany, is currently seeking a Database Manager (ACCS) to work in the Core JFAC (Joint Force Air Component), responsible for maintaining the HQ operational databases, and creating exercise/simulation databases as required for Air Domain and Ballistic Missile Defence. What makes this position particularly enticing is that it will deal with the introduction of a new Air Command and Control (AirC2) tasking system using the Air Command and Control System (ACCS), as well as incorporating a number of ongoing commitments. Your inputs will contribute to the constantly evolving and world-renowned AirC2 capability of the Alliance.
You will need experience in configuring and maintaining databases and, ideally, you should have professional experience in the field of air operations. Some of the many benefits to working here are listed later in this vacancy notice.
The incumbent’s wide range of activities will include, but are not limited to:
· Collection of data and population of databases.
· Acting as the primary point of contact for the integration of targeting data.
· Ensuring all data is operationally correct and compliant with official data standards.
· Managing User accounts and Permissions.
· Providing immediate resolution for technical problems when required.
· Maintaining configuration control of all operational databases.
· Organising and conducting User CCIS Operational Training as required.
· Providing continuous support during exercises.
· Providing on-the-job training.
· Acting as the technical expert on all computer simulation models.
Essential Qualifications Required
The incumbent must have:
· University degree in information technology, computer science, business administration or related discipline and 2 years’ function related experience, or
· Higher Secondary education and completed advanced vocational training in that discipline leading to a professional qualification or professional accreditation with 4 years’ post related experience.
The incumbent must have:
· At least 3 years’ experience of military modelling, simulation and war gaming together with expertise on computer systems and related applications.
· Advanced knowledge of the UNIX Solaris Operating System Command, scripting, networking and virtualisation.
· At least 4 years’ practical experience of working with relational databases Oracle and MS SQL.
· In depth knowledge of SQL queries, internal database programming, stored procedures, triggers etc. in both platforms.
· Advanced knowledge in MS Excel scripting and Business Intelligence projects.
The following would be considered an advantage:
· Experience in providing expeditious support services (e.g. help desk).
· Experience of database design, including software support.
· Proven track record of planning, coordinating and resolving conflicts of data.
· Understanding modern concept of military operations.
· Experience in supporting national and NATO military HQs, including during operations.
· Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification
· Microsoft SQL and ORACLE database course.
The incumbent requires good interpersonal and professional communications capabilities to work in a military environment. Must be able to work with others to understand complex problems, then develop and implement solutions. Must be able to brief results succinctly and write effectively. Must work well under pressure, and should be poised, tactful and adaptable. Must be able to perform training and attend courses.
The work both oral and written in this post and in this Headquarters as a whole is conducted mainly in English so the incumbent must have Good language skills, both written and spoken.
For further information on language levels, please refer to the AIRCOM website at https://ac.nato.int/page3336318.
The incumbent may be required to undertake deployments in support of military operations and exercises, and/or TDY assignments, both within and without NATO boundaries. Such operational deployment may exceed 30 days duration up to 183 days in any period of 547 days, and may be on short notice. For NATO International Civilian Staff, acceptance of an employment contract linked to this post constitutes agreement to deploy in excess of 30 days if required.
In accordance with current policy, newly recruited staff will be offered a three year contract which may be extended, subject to a satisfactory recommendation, to an indefinite duration contract.
Serving NATO International Civilian staff will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
Please note that this post is advertised in advance of an expected approval by nations. Should final approval not be given, the vacancy notice will be withdrawn with no further obligation to the HQ or the applicant.
What do we offer?
· Excellent tax-free monthly salary, including (where eligible) expatriation and family allowances.
· Generous annual leave.
· Private health insurance scheme.
· Retirement Pension Plan.
· Other tax- and duty-free privileges for expatriated staff.
· NATO as an employer values diverse backgrounds and perspectives and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. NATO also values commitment to the principles of integrity, transparency and accountability in accordance with international norms and practices established for the defence and related security sector. Selected candidates are expected to be role models of integrity, and to promote good governance through ongoing efforts in their work.
How to apply
Applications can only be submitted using the online portal https://nato.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en. NATO welcomes applications from nationals of all NATO Member States.
· When completing the application form online, attachments can be added. One of these attachments must be a copy of the qualification/certificate covering the highest level of education required by the job description. If this certificate is not in one of the two official NATO languages, you should include a translation into English. If no certificate is forwarded at all, the application will be rejected.
· Applicants must be willing to undergo a background investigation in order to obtain a valid security clearance certificate from their nation before taking up the appointment.
· Applicants must also be willing to undergo a medical examination prior to taking up their appointment to ensure that they fulfil certain physical standards.
· The candidature of NATO redundant staff at grade A-2 will be considered before any other candidates.
· Due to the broad interest in NATO and the large number of potential candidates, telephone or e-mail enquiries cannot be dealt with.
Please note that the screening of applications may take up to 2 months after the closing date. We appreciate your patience.
Test and/or Interview 29 April 2019