This is a position within the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA), an organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
We are looking for a talented Engineer (Information Systems) who will be responsible, among other tasks, for planning and coordination of assigned exercises supported by CSU Stavanger, project management, representing CSU Stavanger at conferences, and other interesting tasks. If you think that you have the relevant skills and experience, in particular in service delivery in a customer support focused approach, project planning and coordination as well as the relevant academic background in a technical subject with substantial Information Technology (IT) that match the requirements of the position, we would like to hear from you.
The NCIA has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications, Information and Cyber Defence functions, thereby also facilitating the integration of Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, Target Acquisition functions and their associated information exchange.
To strengthen the Alliance through connecting its forces, the NCI Agency delivers secure, coherent, cost effective and interoperable communications and information systems in support of consultation, command and control and enabling intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities, for NATO, where and when required. It includes IT support to the Alliances’ business processes (to include provision of IT shared services) to the NATO HQ, the Command Structure and NATO Agencies. NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Stavanger, located in Norway enables end-to-end CIS services as it installs, operates, maintains and supports the full range of CIS capabilities during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed.
Plans and Projects Section (PPS) establishes and maintains Operation Level Agreements (OLA), directives, instructions or other applicable documents with Service Line Managers in support of SLAs. This Section provides technical advice to the CSU’s customers within its Area of Responsibility. It supports the technical, cost and resource assessment of emerging requirements; the development and the management of local deployment schedules, plans and projects as assigned by Service Lines; Demand Management and Service Strategy in the implementation of new and changed services; and contributes to the coherent implementation and improvement of NCI Agency Change Management. Responsible for ,and coordinate with the service lines the following: scheduling, planning, coordinating, delivering of exercise, allocating resources, budgeting, event and local project planning. This Section engages in central projects with direct impact on the cloud based event service delivery. It also collects and prepares user requirements and converts them into technical deliverables for events. This section performs user validation and user acceptance testing as directed by IV and V.
You will be responsible for the planning and coordination of project and exercise plans supporting all Information Systems and Services supported by CSU Stavanger by following and applying all service support processes in place, ensuring that the levels of service availability and quality are permanently met as agreed with NCI Agency costumers.
Under the direction of the Section Head Plans and Project Management you will perform duties such as the following:
- Capture requirements for projects, events and exercises and translate them into functional and technical requirements.
- Represent the CSU at conferences;
- Design and implement, as a Project Manager and/or an engineer, internally and externally driven projects, requests and events, engaging with CSUs and Service Lines, ensuring clarity throughout the lifespan of exercises, events and projects.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of assigned exercises supported by CSU Stavanger;
- Responsible for the planning and world-wide coordination of delegated exercises from Operations and Exercise Service Line, acting as Officer Primary Responsible on their behalf;
- Responsible for the coordination of C4 Support Plans and issuing of associated tasks;
- Accountable for the planning processes within the CSU for all exercises, events and local projects;
- Develop project plans and perform as Project Manager, coordinate with project stakeholders and report on project execution and control;
- Support the development of budget and manpower estimates in support of service delivery;
- Advise on the design and development of OLAs with Service Lines in support of customer SLAs;
- Develop technical, cost and manpower assessments for existing and emerging requirements and engage Service Lines and CSU elements and enablers for planning and prioritisation;
- Stay abreast of development in Service and Project Management methodologies/tools used by NCI Agency;
- Advise on technical possibilities within the NCI Agency service portfolio, ensuring that the requirements are understood, captured and coordinated with the Service Lines to support the expected customer outcomes.
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience
A Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognized/certified University in a technical subject with substantial Information Technology (IT) and at least 2 years post-related experience; or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognized/certified University in a technical related field and at least 4 years post related experience;
Exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that is/are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post.
- Experience in Service Delivery in a customer support focused approach;
- Prior experience in project planning and coordination for CIS Service Operation;
- Experience in converting operational requirements into ICT requirements;
Desirable Experience and Education
- Strong analytical, organization, multitasking and prioritization skills;
- ITIL foundation/intermediate training/certification and Prince2 foundation training;
- Technical leadership experience;
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
- Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including Allied Command Operations and Allied Command Transformation.
A thorough knowledge of at least one of the two NATO languages (English), both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other (French) is desirable. NOTE: The day to day work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
Competencies or Personal Attributes
Persuading and Influencing - Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
Working with People - Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Planning and organizing – Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks - Maintains a positive outlook at work; works productively in a pressurised environment; keeps emotions under control during difficult situations; handles criticism well and learns from it; balances the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities in addition to frequent travel to exercise planning conferences is required. You may be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
The incumbent liaises with the customer representatives, international CIS organisations, exercise training audience representatives, internal CIS Support Units, Service Lines, other technical organisations and NCI Agency subordinate elements.
The incumbent may give professional guidance to staff.
Normal office environment;
Potentially includes shift work.
Security Clearance Level: