Engineer (Information Systems / Application Management)-190478
Primary Location Italy-Sigonella
NATO Body NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis) : 5,285.21Euro (EUR) Monthly
3000 people are working 24/7 to protect 1 billion citizens. We serve 29 nations by defending its networks, and providing real life support to NATO operations and missions. We connect the Alliance. We are leading IT professionals. We are the NCI Agency.
We are looking for a talented Engineer (Information Systems / Application Management) who will be responsible to provide Application Management support to the software applications and tools used by customers in the AOR and defined in the SLA and to advises on and supports day-to-day operation, control and monitoring of Mission Dedicated Systems (MDS).
If you think that you have the relevant skills and experience, as well as the relevant academic background that match the requirements of the position, and if you would like to work as a part of multinational team in a challenging environment, we would like to hear from you.
This is a position within the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA), an organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
The NCIA has been established with a view to meeting to the best advantage the collective requirements of some or all NATO nations in the fields of capability delivery and service provision related to Consultation, Command & Control as well as Communications, Information and Cyber Defence functions, thereby also facilitating the integration of Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, Target Acquisition functions and their associated information exchange.
The Director of Service Operations (DSO) is accountable to plan, install, operate and maintain CIS services throughout the allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR), in static NATO Headquarters, Alliance Operations and Missions and Exercises, and supported Organisations. Service Operations are delivered and managed in close coordination with the Directorates of Applications Services, Infrastructure Services, AirC2 Services and BMD Services. DSO and the CSUs receive support from the Agency’s Enabler functions (General Services, Human Resources, Finance, and Acquisition).
NCI Agency CIS Support Unit (CSU) Sigonella, located in Sigonella, Italy, enables end-to-end CIS services as it installs, operates, maintains and supports the standardized range of CIS capabilities of the Agency for the customer during peacetime, crisis and war throughout its allocated Area of Responsibility (AOR) and as otherwise directed.
Under the direction of the Branch Head Service Operations and Support the post-holder will perform duties such as the following:
- Engineer overall responsible for the delivery of Applications, Functional Services, and Server and Database Management services, to meet customer requirements in the AOR.
- Responsible for the installation, operation, management and maintenance of assigned Functional Systems, Servers, Databases and other Applications. Stays abreast of latest developments in these areas.
- Responsible for applications and data integrity. Supports IT Service Continuity Management (ITSCM), Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans.
- Responsible for assigned aspects of Service lifecycle.
- Analyses plans, designs, requirements, and associated risks, advises on technical solutions and mitigations.
- Manages support to development of operations and exercises plans, directs the support to related local CIS Service provision during execution phase of these plans.
- Documents design and configuration of assigned applications and the required operating procedures.
- Implements procedures, tools and techniques for monitoring and managing the performance of applications and provides reports as required.
- Provides Application Management support to the software applications and tools used by customers in the AOR and defined in the SLA.
- Responds to user’s requests for assistance and takes appropriate action to solve database related problems occurring on the local systems.
- Maintains and monitors database systems and supports associated tools.
- Advises on and supports day-to-day operation, control and monitoring of Mission Dedicated Systems (MDS).
- Initiates and maintains liaison with other CSU internal units, Service Lines and other technical organisations.
- Investigates, defines and resolves complex technical issues.
- Provides engineering and technical advice, and implementation guidance to the senior management.
- Advises on and assists the development of standards, methods and tools.
- Ensures effective and efficient use of assigned resources.
- Applies situational leadership (directing, coaching, supporting or delegating) as required.
- Plans and manages implementation of assigned project work packages.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
We are looking for candidates holding a university degree, preferably equivalent to a Master of Science (MSc) degree at a nationally recognised/ certified University in a related discipline (Information Technology (IT)); Exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that is/are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post;
It is also required to have a formal training in database administration.
In addition to a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience to the post, you will need to prove:
- A minimum of 2 years experience in database operations.
- General background in engineering and maintenance of Communications and Information Systems (CIS) including pertinent training and practical experience.
- Demonstrable evidence in maintaining knowledge of advances in Information System (IS) engineering and Service Management.
- Knowledge of SQL Scripting and common database packages as well as Network Operating Systems.
- Experience in system administration of common operating systems.
- Technical knowledge on wide area networks (WAN) and local area networks (LAN).
- Knowledge of Active Directory services and Group Policies.
- Experience in Microsoft SharePoint Portal administration and troubleshooting.
- Experience in IT systems virtualization, VMware infrastructure support (ESXi/vSphere).
The following will be considered as an advantage:
- Knowledge of NATO CIS Systems, Services, Policies, Procedures and Organization.
- Knowledge of project development for CIS in NATO, specifically Capability Packages (CP).
- ITIL Foundation certificate.
- Advanced ITIL Certification (Practitioner, Intermediate, Expert or Master) in an area related to Service Management.
- Certification in a formal Project Management methodology (Prince2, PMP, etc.).
- Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements.
Application Support - Maintains application support processes, and checks that all requests for support are dealt with according to agreed procedures. Uses application management software and tools to investigate issues, collect performance statistics and create reports.
Database Administration - Drafts and maintains procedures and documentation for databases. Manages database configuration including installing and upgrading software and maintaining relevant documentation. Contributes to the setting of standards for definition, security and integrity of database objects and ensures conformance to these standards. Monitors database activity and resource usage. Optimises database performance and plans for forecast resource needs.
Problem Management - Ensures that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services. Ensures that such problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting system(s). Enables development of problem solutions. Coordinates the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures. Analyses patterns and trends.
Leading and Supervising - Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high caliber; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behavior.
Relating and Networking - Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humor appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Creating and Innovating - Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
Planning and Organizing - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting and Responding to Change - Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences..
Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language, and therefore a thorough knowledge of English, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of French is desirable.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCI Agency offices.
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency;
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency;
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held;
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding;
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency;
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
- Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme.
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note that due to the Agency’s transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency’s recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months after closing date. We appreciate your patience.