Closing date for applications 27 July 2017
The European Defence Agency was established on 12 July 2004, and is governed by Council Decision (CFSP) 2015/1835 defining the statute, seat and operational rules of the European Defence Agency.
The Agency has its headquarters in Brussels.
The main task of the EDA is to support the Council and the Member States in their effort to improve the Union's defence capabilities in the field of crisis management and to sustain the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) as it currently stands and as it develops in the future.
The Agency is structured into four directorates. Three operational directorates: Cooperation Planning & Support; Capability, Armaments & Technology; and European Synergies & Innovation and the Corporate Services Directorate.
The Agency is an “outward-facing” organisation, constantly interacting with its shareholders, the participating Member States, as well as with a wide range of stakeholders. It works in an integrated way, with multi-disciplinary teams representing all the Agency’s functional areas, to realise its objectives. Its business processes are flexible and oriented towards achieving results. Staff at all levels need to demonstrate the corresponding qualities of commitment, flexibility, innovation, and team-working; to work effectively with shareholders and stakeholder groups, formal and informal; and to operate without the need for detailed direction.
The Corporate Services Directorate manages the human resources, finance, legal, procurement and contract activities, as well as information technology, infrastructure and security, and corporate projects to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of EDA.
Under the direction of the Head of the IT Unit, the Senior IT Administrator will contribute to ensuring the necessary support of the Communications and Information Systems of the Agency.
In particular s/he will perform the following tasks within the IT Unit:
- administer Microsoft Windows based servers both in a local environment and in a commercial cloud environment ( Clusters, Hyper-V, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, IIS, SQL, Azure, AWS);
- administer network devices (switches, routers) and border protection devices (firewalls, intrusion prevention systems);
- implement IT security and auditing policies,
- perform IT security monitoring and incident management;
- administer the VoIP infrastructure;
- support end-users in the use of the internal IT tools;
- design, implement and administer EDA’s unified communication infrastructure;
- design, manage and supervise networks and telecommunications;
- organise and/or follow-up projects in any of the above mentioned areas;
- organise and/or following-up of operational services in any of the above mentioned areas (with or without outsourcing part of the work);
The above work will be executed on both unclassified and EU classified IT systems and networks.
Duties may evolve according to development of the EDA’s structure and activities, and the decisions of EDA management.
a. Conditions for eligibility:
- be a national of a Member State participating in the Agency;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
- have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the EU, and an adequate knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary to discharge his/her duties;
- have no personal interest (financial, family relationship, or other) which could be in conflict with disinterested discharge of his/her duties within the Agency;
- hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at SECRET UE/EU SECRET level). Personnel Security Clearance Certificate’ (PSCC) means a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual is security cleared and holds a valid national or EU PSC, and which shows the level of EUCI to which that individual may be granted access (CONFIDENTIEL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL or above), the date of validity of the relevant PSC and the date of expiry of the certificate itself. Note that the necessary procedure for obtaining a PSCC can be initiated on request of the employer only, and not by the individual candidate.);
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma; or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years.
b. Essential selection criteria
The candidate will be required to demonstrate that he/she has:
- proven experience in administering servers primarily in a Microsoft Windows based environment;
- proven experience in administering servers and managing resources in a commercial cloud environment (Azure or AWS);
- very strong network administration knowledge;
- proven experience in backup management;
- experience in datacentre management;
- experience in IT security monitoring and incident management;
- experience in administrate unified communication solutions;
- a very good knowledge of English.
For reasons related to the Agency's operational requirements, the candidate should be available at short notice for the job.
All staff must be able to fit into the Agency's way of working (see para. 2). Other attributes important for this post include:
- the ability to work in a team;
- a ‘can-do’ attitude;
- the ability to take decisions under pressure;
- the ability to focus on service and results, always with strong motivation;
- flexibility and innovation;
- commitment to the Agency’s objectives.
c. Desirable selection criteria
The candidate will preferably also have administration knowledge in one or more of the following:
- Microsoft Active Directory;
- Microsoft Exchange;
- Azure Active Directory;
- Office 365;
- Amazon Web Services;
- Microsoft SharePoint;
- Microsoft SQL server;
- Microsoft Hyper-V and Cluster environments;
- Microsoft IIS;
- Lync Server;
- System Center Operation Manager;
- System Center Service Manager;
- Microsoft Forefront TMG and UAG;
- in-depth knowledge and experience with Firewalls and other border protection devices;
- knowledge of security policies and guides on handling EU classified information or equivalent high security environments;
- experience in administering Polycom VoIP infrastructure ;
- experience in deploying and managing two-factor authentication systems;
- experience in administering Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager or other Identity Management solutions;
- experience in service management validated by holding a cerfication such as ITIL V3.
The Senior IT Administrator will be required to make a declaration of commitment to act independently in the Agency’s interest and to make a declaration in relation to interests that might be considered prejudicial to his/her independence.
The Senior IT Administrator will be appointed by the Chief Executive, upon recommendation of the Chairman of the Selection Committee.
Recruitment will be as a member of the temporary staff of the Agency for a four-year period (unless a shorter period is mutually agreed between the parties). Renewal is possible within the limits set out in the EDA Staff Regulations. The successful candidate will be recruited as AST6.
Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance certificate before the expiration of the probationary period may be cause for termination of the contract.
Candidates are advised that part of the recruitment process includes medical analyses and physical check-up with an Agency’s Medical Adviser.
Applications are invited with a view to establishing a reserve list for the post of Senior IT Administrator at the EDA. This list is valid until 31/12/2018, and may be extended by decision of the Chief Executive. During the validity of the reserve list, successful candidates may be offered a post in the EDA according to their competences in relation to the specific requirements of the vacant post.
Inclusion on the reserve list does not imply any entitlement of employment in the Agency.
The EDA is an equal opportunities employer and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of age, race, political, philosophical or religious conviction, sex or sexual orientation and regardless of disabilities, marital status or family situation.
Candidates must submit their application electronically solely via the EDA website. Applications by any other means (hard copy or ordinary e-mail) will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted no later than midnight. Candidates are reminded that the on-line application system will not accept applications after midnight (Brussels time, GMT+1) on the date of the deadline.
When applying, candidates from Ministries of Defence or other governmental entities are encouraged to inform their national administration.
A selection committee will be appointed. Please note that the selection committee's internal proceedings are strictly confidential and that any contact with its members is forbidden.
If recruited, you will be requested to supply documentary evidence in support of the statements that you make for this application. Do not send any supporting or supplementary information until you have been asked to do so by the Agency.
Please note that once you have created your EDA profile, any correspondence regarding your application must be sent or received via your EDA profile.
For any prior enquiry, please refer to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) section, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Please note that EDA will not return applications to candidates. The personal information EDA requests from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. The purpose of processing personal data which candidates submit is to manage applications in view of possible pre-selection and recruitment at EDA.
More information on personal data protection in relation to selection and recruitment can be found on the EDA website: http://www.eda.europ.../dataprotection