This is a position within the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency), an organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
The NCI Agency is made up of teams of dedicated people from 29 different nations who are technology experts in their chosen fields. Our collective role is to help protect the lives of 1 billion people and contribute to maintaining world peace.
The NCI Agency is looking for a talented System Engineer
Directorate Air and Missile Defence Command and Control (AMDC2), as part of the NCI Agency, ensures the harmonised planning, implementation, deployment, evolution and support of the Air Command and Control System (ACCS) and other AirC2 assigned programmes, in a way that satisfies the operational requirements and minimizes the military risk, taking into account the NATO political, economic and schedule requirements and using the most suitable industrial and technological solutions. Directorate AMDC2 is the procurement and implementation body of the NCI Agency, charged with the effective planning, execution, delivery into service, evolution and through-life logistic support of NATO’s and assigned national AirC2 systems.
The Engineering Branch (ENB) manages, controls, guides and orchestrates all technical aspects of all AirC2-related internal and contracted projects throughout their lifecycle. It provides estimation of the required effort for each project/task and staffs, plans, allocates and manages engineering resources according to agreed priorities. ENB executes overall design responsibility to ensure and harmonize the integrity, technical coherence and interoperability across all AirC2-related based projects throughout product lifecycles (requirements, design, implementation, test support and site support) and across assigned projects. ENB also maintains close coordination with Service Strategy and other key stakeholders across the Agency for technical roadmaps and engineering matters.
The System Engineering In-Service Support (SYS-ISS) Section manages, controls, guides and orchestrates all system engineering activities related to the in-service support of allocated systems and ensures that maintenance and organic evolution of those systems is defined and executed according to agreed-upon standards and consistent with contractual commitments and roadmaps. It also orchestrates the maintenance and deployment of associated baselines. SYS-ISS manages in-service support system engineering resources allocated to all projects assigned to theDAMDC2. It also ensures that organic baselines are maintained in accordance with the appropriate baseline management strategies.
Under the direction of Head SYS-ISS, the incumbent will perform duties as follows:
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge at system and sub-system level of the products of the AMDC2 with an emphasis on system architecture, integration, software build and verification aspects;
- Contribute to the analysis of change requests from a system / software and off-the-shelf product integration testing perspective and estimating the approach, time and resources needed;
- Develop and maintain integration / regression test concepts, plans, procedures, criteria and records in co-ordination with the appropriate engineering / project teams;
- Design, generate and maintain appropriate test data;
- Co-operate with the engineers performing system integration to ensure that the required system is correctly built;
- Co-ordinate with the Platform Engineering Section to ensure that the required target hardware / network environment is correctly prepared and configured;
- Perform integration tests in accordance with the planning and verifies that the integrated system executes in its target environment, interfaces correctly and provides for basic functionality;
- Analyse and document the test results, reports on the outcome, recommends on further processing and contributes to problem resolution;
- Notify the Verification & Validation Section and other stakeholders of the availability of the integrated system for further test actions;
- Participate in project milestone and artefact reviews to ensure appropriate consideration of the integration aspects;
- Perform on-site-support (e.g. installation of new releases and data, problem resolution etc) as directed.
- Develop and maintains tool for the automation of integration test suites;
- Liaise with the Customer Service Desk for problem resolution and provides second-line support as required;
- Maintain a high level of expertise in the technical areas above and stays abreast of software engineering best practices;
- When the incumbent is assigned to support a project/product, he / she reports also to the respective project leader on related matters;
- Verify the correct integration of sub-systems which is an essential contribution to the timely delivery of quality products;
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
We are looking for candidates with A Master of Science (MSc) degree or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree at a nationally recognised/certified University in Systems Engineering of large-scale distributed software or a related discipline and 4 years post related experience or exceptionally, the lack of a university/college degree may be compensated by the demonstration of a candidate’s particular abilities or experience that are of interest to NCI Agency; that is, at least 10 years extensive and progressive expertise in the duties related to the function of the post.
In addition to 2 years post related experience (Master’s degree) or 4 years post related experience (Bachelor’s degree)we also require the following:
Recent experience in the analysis, design, development or maintenance of large-scale distributed software-intensive transaction processing or management support systems (like management information-, decision support systems, etc);
General up-to-date knowledge of operating systems, computer system architectures, client/server, LAN/WAN and network concepts.
The following will be considered as an advantage
Experience in the use of modern Data Base Management Systems and knowledge of Data Management concepts;
Experience in system / software integration applied to the development or maintenance of modern automated AirC2, air traffic control or equivalent command/control systems;
Experience in the integration of Off-the-shelf (OTS) software;
Experience in the operational use or software maintenance of a current air operations, command and control or air traffic control system;
Experience in automated tools supporting software / system testing;
Advanced university degree in a discipline related to the function of the post;
Within his/her academic studies, vocational training or by supplementary formal training the incumbent should have proof of training system administration, network and/or testing management;
Prior experience of working in an international environment comprising both military and civilian elements;
Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including ACO and ACT.
We are looking for a person who demonstrates the following behavioural competencies:
Persuading and Influencing - Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
Presenting and Communicating Information - Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Writing and Reporting - Writes convincingly; writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; writes in a well-structured and logical way; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
Applying Expertise and Technology - Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Analysing - Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
Planning and Organising - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices;
May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable.
NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.
You may give professional guidance to staff
NCI Agency normally offers contracts of employment of a definite duration, not exceeding three years. Contracts may be for less than three years as required to support short-term projects, meet uncertainty with respect to the business outlook, staff performance and other factors.
Definite duration contracts may be extended for further periods. When extending contracts, the following is taken into consideration:
- Renewal is in the interest of the Agency.
- Staff member's desire to remain with the Agency.
- The financial situation provides sufficient funding for the post held.
- The skills, competencies and behaviours, potential and work experience of the staff, versus the requirements of the Agency's work and/or availability of funding.
- Staff member has served the Agency with performance to the required standard as defined by the Agency,
- Staff member's deployability to operational theatre.
Serving civilian members of NATO will be offered a contract in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations.
The first six months of definite duration contracts are a probationary period. During this period the staff member's work is assessed to ensure that he/she has the ability to carry out the duties of the post. At or before the end of the probationary period, the staff member will be notified in writing that the appointment is confirmed or terminated or, in exceptional cases, that the probationary period is extended.
What do we offer?
Excellent tax-free salary, including (where eligible) expatriation household and children's allowances and additional privileges for expatriate staff.
- Education allowance for children (where appropriate) and an excellent private health insurance scheme;
- Generous annual leave and home leave (if eligible).
- Retirement Pension Plan.
To learn more about NCI Agency and our work, please visit our website.
Please note: Due to the Agency’s transition into a new structure in the near future, this post may be subject to transfer to one of our other locations, as well as to a change of reporting lines. The final decision will be made at the time of a firm offer.
The Agency’s recruitment team advises you that due to the large volume of applications it receives the screening process may take up to 2 months.
We appreciate your patience.