Purpose of the job:
Drive technological innovation and transformation across the Bank through leadership of the central IT function (IT infrastructure, corporate platforms, IT for corporate services, cloud governance and administration) while maintaining resilience of IT operations as well as strong governance and risk management processes.
Lead and coordinate the development of a Bank-wide IT strategy that supports the BIS in achieving its strategic goals. Ensure the successful implementation of the Bank’s technological roadmap further developing the BIS IT capabilities and operational resilience.
Oversee IT architecture framework to ensure continued alignment of technological development with business goals and support of cost-effective innovation and growth. Manage the Bank’s IT budget according to defined strategy and priorities.
1. IT strategy and technological innovation
- Lead and coordinate the development of an IT strategy that supports the strategic business objectives of the BIS and fosters digital innovation for approval by the Bank’s Executive Committee.
- Ensure the successful implementation of the IT strategy through management of the central IT function and coordination of IT investments in decentralised business IT functions.
- Oversee IT architecture framework that ensures continued alignment of technological development with business goals and supports cost-effective innovation and growth.
- Spearhead technology innovation in the Bank while ensuring resilience of operations and security by design.
- Chair the Bank’s IT Management Group and own the IT architecture definition process.
2. Central IT services
- Lead the delivery of centralised IT infrastructure, platform and corporate application services.
- Assess, acquire, and integrate vendor technology solutions that are the most appropriate to support the Bank’s business.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with key suppliers / vendors.
- Ensure reliability of IT operations and monitor performance through KPIs and KRIs.
- Ensure the development of a roadmap for centralised IT services informed by forward-looking demand management.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the central IT function (IMS), including coaching and developing staff, as well as establishing and maintaining quality standards for operational output.
- Work closely with line managers to ensure the provision of high-quality services, by identifying best practices, setting priorities, allocating resources and ensuring their efficient use.
- Ensure the right skill mix in IT exists for current and future developments. Develop and maintain a succession and continuity plan for identified critical IT positions.
3. Risk management and operational resilience
- Ensure governance and assurance of IT risks both within the unit and as a second line of defence for other units.
- Ensure resilience of IT operations in particular in terms of business continuity, cyber security and external dependencies.
- Advise the Bank’s senior management on the overall governance of IT.
4. External relationships
- Provide an effective Secretariat for the Group of Computer Experts and its subgroups. Actively participate in meetings of various committees and expert groups of the central banks.
- Build strong technology vendor partnerships and manage multiple vendor relationships to ensure overall performance objectives are met.
Qualification and experience required:
- MA/MSc/PhD in computer science or another relevant discipline
- At least 10 years of experience in senior, visible IT leadership positions, ideally within the financial services sector
- Proven record of achievement in IT strategy execution and its translation into resilient operations
- Broad and deep experience of issues relating to risk management and the related governance standards
- Strong leadership skills with a results orientation
- Innovative and able to articulate a strategic vision
- Proven business management skills and ability to drive and manage change
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills and structured thinking
- Strong relationship management, collaboration and influencing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels of the institution, including with Management / Board level. Excellent oral and drafting skills in English
- Personal initiative, high personal energy level and drive, multicultural sensitivity, and gravitas
- Excellent understanding of the latest IT developments and trends and commitment to ongoing acquisition of knowledge
- Excellent programme and project management skills