How to Delete emails from specific senders older than N days?

strattos

Good day to the whole community!

I came across similar questions with solutions but my request is a bit more different to those stated in the forum.

What I exactly want to do is the following:

After I receive emails from a specific user (eg. [email protected])

I want to keep these emails for N days in my Inbox and then get the

server automatically delete them and send them to "Deleted Items"

folder of my mailbox.

Exmerge can only process emails based on the Subject and Attachment name but not based on the sender's email address.

My environment is Exchange Srv 2003 with Outlook 2003 & 2007.

Hi,

There is AutoArchive in Outlook 2007 but to be honest I cannot remember if that feature was in 2003 as well.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Other and check if you have an AutoArchive option there...

You can also set AutoArchive for specific folders by right clicking on the folder and selecting properties.  There should be an AutoArchive tab there.

Again, I cannot recall if this exists in Outlook 2003 ... You can check it though :)

Now this will automatically archive  ALL emails and not just a specific user. But you could always make a folder for those users you want to isolate and sent the emails with Rules to those folders and then set specific autoarchive settings for each folder ( which will be like setting an AutoArchive policy for a specific user).... does that make sense? :)

Hope this helps!

Hi,

There is AutoArchive in Outlook 2007 but to be honest I cannot remember if that feature was in 2003 as well.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Other and check if you have an AutoArchive option there...

You can also set AutoArchive for specific folders by right clicking on the folder and selecting properties.  There should be an AutoArchive tab there.

Again, I cannot recall if this exists in Outlook 2003 ... You can check it though :)

Now this will automatically archive  ALL emails and not just a specific user. But you could always make a folder for those users you want to isolate and sent the emails with Rules to those folders and then set specific autoarchive settings for each folder ( which will be like setting an AutoArchive policy for a specific user).... does that make sense? :)

Hope this helps!

Good day Fenia,

All you proposed makes sense but adds an

additional step (with some sub-steps actually) to the whole process. I

need to create sub-folders & rules to move the emails there first

and then run the AutoArchive for these Sub-Folders and then to delete

the .pst file generated by this process.

I have already tried a

solution like this but I am looking about a more straight forward

solution. Even a "Custom Action" in an Outlook Rule would help if you

have something to propose.

Best regards,

Stratos

Hi Strattos,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You can use recipient policies to control e-mail address settings and to manage mailboxes. This step-by-step article describes how to use the recipient policies feature of Mailbox Manager to automatically process the contents of users' mailboxes. Recipient policies come with preconfigurable options, including e-mail notification and automatic deletion of unwanted messages.

How to use recipient policies to control mailboxes in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003

Also this article describes how the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server versions of the Mailbox Manager feature determine which messages to process. You can configure Mailbox Manager to clean server mailboxes based on message age or size for each folder. Mailbox Manager examines the message age limit for certain properties to determine whether to process a message.

Message age limit properties that are used by Mailbox Manager in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server

Hi Strattos,

You can use recipient policies to control e-mail address settings and to manage mailboxes. This step-by-step article describes how to use the recipient policies feature of Mailbox Manager to automatically process the contents of users' mailboxes. Recipient policies come with preconfigurable options, including e-mail notification and automatic deletion of unwanted messages.

How to use recipient policies to control mailboxes in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003

Also this article describes how the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server versions of the Mailbox Manager feature determine which messages to process. You can configure Mailbox Manager to clean server mailboxes based on message age or size for each folder. Mailbox Manager examines the message age limit for certain properties to determine whether to process a message.

Message age limit properties that are used by Mailbox Manager in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server

Good day CF!

Doing something like what you mention above does not give me the possibility to specify which emails exactly I want to delete. I can only delete emails older than N days and bigger than X Kb but in no case emails from specific senders!

Thanks for your reply never the less!

Regards,

Strattos